Difficulty: Relaxing (click for info)
The crisp, striped Blakeslee Tee was inspired by early autumn days in rural New Hampshire, and the classic preppy styles often worn there. Make it in collegiate scarlet-and-cream for a traditional look, or update the design with a more modern combo: Blakeslee is perfect for a brisk paddle in a dark green canoe, a set of tennis on the green, or a potluck dinner overlooking the lake.
Worked in the round, Blakeslee has a casual, relaxed fit with just enough shaping to be flattering. The raglan increases are worked from the wide neck down, and don't disrupt the slipped stitch pattern that creates this design's textured colorwork pattern. Although the heathered stripes may look complex, don't be intimidated: every round of this sweater is worked in a single color, and is either all knit stitches, or "slip 1, knit 1." Combining these slipped-stitch rounds with alternating rounds of different colors creates a deceptively sophisticated-looking pattern, which is complemented by twisted-stitch ribbing at the neck, cuffs, and bottom, topped off with a single round of contrast edging. The cap sleeves are separated from the body of the sweater after the yoke is knitted, with the cuff ribbing added later.
Made up in a light fingering-weight yarn at a larger-than-usual gauge, the fabric of Blakeslee is light and surprisingly stretchy—wear it alone on a sunny day with just a hint of fall in the air, or layer under a blazer or jacket in an office setting. Blakeslee is completely seamless, requiring almost no finishing before you can slip it off your needles and over your head.
Sized to fit bust measurements between 28 and 52 inches, the pattern features a schematic, full-color photographs, instructions for all elements of pattern construction, and helpful notes about recommended cast-ons, optional extra waist shaping, and more.
- To fit bust 28(30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52) inches in circumference, with zero ease
Finished Measurements in inches:
- Bust: 28(30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40, 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52) inches
- Back length: 17(17.5, 18, 18.5, 19, 19.25, 19.75, 20, 20.5, 20.75, 21.25, 21.5, 22) inches
- 8 sts and 12 rows = 1 inch in slipped-stitch pattern
- 1(1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2) skeins Malabrigo Sock (100% merino, 440yds/100g) in Botticelli Red or desired Main Color
- 1(1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2) skein(s) Malabrigo Sock (100% merino, 440yds/100g) in Natural or desired Contrast Color
- 1 circular needle, 3.5mm/US#4 or size needed to obtain gauge, with cable slightly shorter than desired bust measurement
- 1 circular needle, 1-2 sizes smaller than your main needle, with cable slightly shorter than desired bust measurement
- 4 stitch markers, one distinguishable from the others.
- Small tapestry needle
- Small amount of waste yarn
- Working in the round
- Slipping sts
- Picking up sts
- Increasing and decreasing
- Elementary colorwork (stripes and slipped-stitches)